Creative USB Audigy sound card distorts

I've got a small Creative USB Audigy sound device connected to an ASUS laptop.
(I could get the model # with difficulty as it's buried under the back of a
very tight desk). If I boot into Vista, the sound is perfect. If I boot into
F8 it comes out sounding harshly distorted and sounding as if its looped back
on itself. Thinking it was pulse, I played with various settings but never
got good sound. I just removed the two files alsa-plugins-pulseaudio and
kde-settings-pulseaudio recommended in a separate thread, to disable pulse. I
still have the exact same distorted echoing audio.

Anyone else seen this?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA