Re: OT: unathorized network user.

Ed Greshko wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
When you are talking about wireless security, it is not just the information on your local network that valuable. The network connection itself is also valuable. This is especially true if the attacker wants to do things that they do not want traced back to them. If they use your connection to send out SPAM, you stand a good chance of having to prove to your ISP that you did not do it. If they use it to break into another system, you may end up explaining it to the police, or having to defent yourself in court. If it is someone that lives close enough to use your connection for long periods, they may use it for file sharing. This is especially true if you have not changed your routers password, or have UPnP enabled on the router.

I can't help but thinking that if these problems were so prevalent that Starbucks would have discontinued offering wireless a long time ago. Or, that no city would ever think of establishing a wireless network.

As has been pointed out, Starbucks is acting as an ISP. On top of that, unless it is a one time visit, they can probably correlate the times with the security camera logs to limit the number of suspects. (This does not help if they connect from outside the store.)

As far a city wireless networks, I know that here the access is limited to sites that provide local information, pulse a few selected sites. If you want full access, you have to be a subscriber, and you have to log in with a user name and password. You get the login screen the first time you try to visit a site that is not on the free list. I don't remember how they limit other access, but I suspect that other ports are blocked as well.

I have AT&T wireless access as well. When I go to connect at the hot spot, I have to log in as well. The first WEB access brings up the login screen.

Mikkel