Re: OT: unathorized network user.

On Jan 23, 2008 8:55 PM, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:24:09 +0900
> John Summerfield <debian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > WEP's good for about two minutes these days.
>
> Interesting.
>
> What should you do to protect access to your wireless network?
>
> --
>
> --

Use WPA, MAC filtering (only allow connections from ...), don't
broadcast SSID (and don't use a SSID that provides someone with an
indication of who owns the AP - more for privacy reasons), subnet mask
to minimize the # of possible IPs on your network (use a subnet mask
that will provide you with the required # of IPs only, with a few
spares only if your situation requires it), monitor router logs for
unauthorized attempts or successful connections.  You could also used
static DHCP if your router supports it, or turn off DHCP and manually
assign IPs to your machines.  If your wireless router supports
modifying the signal strength you could do some testing to see if you
can scale back its strength to cut down on the distance from which
someone can connect (recognizing that people can use directional
antennas to improve their reception even with a weaker signal strength
from your part).

Ultimately you want to be less of a target than others.  The casual
hacker will move on to a lesser challenge.  With the exception of your
neighbour who has all the time in the world, for most hackers (using
the term loosely) the rewards would have to outweigh the effort.
Implementing the various layers of security I've suggested should
avoid you from being the low hanging fruit.

Jacques