Re: livna video drivers for idiots

Robin Laing wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:
On some forum today, a claim was made that Ubuntu should be used if you want to use nvidia drivers because Fedora is difficult to install them in.

I have nothing against Ubuntu (except for their sudo defaults and lack of a root passwd by default, but that's another discussion) but that statement about fedora just wasn't true. So I detailed the four or five lines it takes in a terminal to get the livna packaging installed and configured, and the argument then was that it still was too hard.

If some people really feel that way - well, I guess it could be made easier. I don't have a fedora box at the moment so I have only dry run tested this script in CentOS - but perhaps someone running Fedora can fine tune this and get it up onto a useful wiki?

I use Freshrpms for my nvidia drivers as it uses dkm. This makes life so easy compared to Livna. I don't have to remove and re-install (unless it is better now) the various modules. If there is a new nvidia driver, it is created on the next reboot. I just see a message about it.

I think the dynamic kernel modules is a much better way to go than individual modules. Now I have a module that will be created and work on a previous kernel if I need it.
My experience with livna kernel modules, the new module is pulled in with the new kernel update. Usually by the time the kernel update shows up in my yum update - livna has already built the new module. Sometimes it takes a day, that's no biggie.

I don't doubt the freshrpm packaging works just fine, I use livna for other stuff so for me it just makes sense to use them for the kernel module as well.