Re: Non-technical motives for technical work (was:Re: F8 is a problem)

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 05:38 -0500, Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Wasn't his Doctorate honorary? There is no mention of a Doctorate in the
> > Wikipedia. Yet Einstein did collaborate within teams. Teamwork. That's
> > central and crucial to advanced thinking for the likes of an Einstein.
> > The cartoon approach, with Einstein sitting in a bathtub and seeing
> > E=MC2 on a soap bubble, didn't happen. :) Ric
>
> Paul Harvey once did a 'Rest of the Story' on Einstein.  According to this
> piece, Einstein was looking for 'music' in the universe, and that led to
> relativity theory;  what is known is that Einstein loved his violin and was
> quite good at it.
>
> And that is actually halfway on topic, because there is a group of people who
> are doing this tech for audio and music production, and, unfortunately, F8 is
> proving to be less stable for DAW stuff than F7 was.  I use an F7 DAW weekly
> in production of a radio broadcast; I just have started using F8 on my laptop
> with a Plantronics USB headset for doing the same.
>
> There are quite serious issues trying to do it on F8 (to be fair, consumer
> sound cards are horrible, and the Intel HDA in both machines stutters like
> crazy when using JACK apps, which is why I use the Plantronics headset on the
> laptop, and an Echo Layla on the desktop); the biggest is that, when I master
> the final CD audio file with JAMin (PlanetCCRMA's package of it), I can hear
> the audio only when JAMin is bypassed; if it's in the loop I hear no sound,
> but when exporting through it from Ardour, the exported wave file is fine.
>
> This works on F7, but not F8.  I haven't had time to file a useful bug report;
> I have a JAMin setup that I did on the F7 box that produces the processing I
> need already, so I process 'deaf' (I actually had written 'blind' but decided
> in this context 'deaf' was more accurate!) but then listen to the resulting
> audio with Audacity after stopping JACK.  I would love to see Audacity's JACK
> support work right, but it doesn't seem to be getting much priority with the
> audacity developers.
>
> Also, I get more dropouts (xruns) on F8 than on F7, but since the two machines
> are not directly comparable (and since my laptop is highly unstable with the
> RT kernel) I don't think this is an F8 problem.  After I upgrade the F7
> desktop to F8 (yes, I am going to do this, since I do know that I can get the
> production done on my F8 laptop, and I do actually enjoy tinkering enough
> that I run this bleeding edge stuff; if I wanted a stable Linux DAW I'd shell
> out the clams for Fervent's Studio to Go! product) I may revise my opinion.

Lamar, please keep us in the loop on the issue. I'm still running FC7
and recently have been experiencing some audio statics and an annoying
loss of video playback quality. There's nothing I would like more is to
see Fedora eventually become "slightly" split, where RH could go back to
offering a box set that was just a tad more stable and usable by Joe
Lunchbucket, especially with regard to audio/visual production and
usage.

$39 for a nice box, DVD and some simple printed install instructions.
Rahul's group would have more money for more personnel and devel. It's a
thought. This group doing the critical beta-beta testing has jobs for
life, no prob on that score! My 2 cents, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar