Re: yum update...any way to have it download multiple packages at once?

On Tue, 22 Jan 2008 15:53:03 -0600
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you just want to babysit the system during the actual package
> installs but not the downloading you can:
>
> yum install yum-downloadonly   (unless this has changed in recent
> versions), then
> yum --downloadonly update  (which you can mostly ignore until it
> completes), then the final
> yum update
> will proceed quickly since it already has the packages.

Yea, I have this in cron (just the download part) so when I'm
ready to actually update, the packages are already there.

I even go one step farther and chroot to each of my other fedora
alternate boot filesystems and run the download for all of them
in the same cron job - that way the next time I happen to
boot one of the alternate systems, I can run update quick and
not have to wait for downloads.