Re: Fedora 8 64-bit Athlon Install- Can't find CD/DVD Drives?

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 07:55 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> I'm trying to install Fedora 8 64-bit on an Athlon 64-bit desktop
> running Fedora 6. It boots from the install disk, asks about language,
> etc. and then strangely brings up a menu on which I'm to indicate where
> the packages to install are (CD/DVD, hard drive, etc.). If it's booting
> from the DVD to begin with, why is it now asking where the packages are?
> I've tried all sorts of kernel parameters (ide=nodma, acpi=off, etc. - I
> included ones specifically for this problme) but NOTHING helps. What is
> the solution? Must I replace the CD/DVD drive? If so, how do I know what
> to buy??

It depends on the type of CD/DVD drive you have.  It's not uncommon to
have that occur when installing off an external USB drive (you need to
tell it you're installing from a local CD/DVD drive, wait for anaconda
to tell you it can't find it and then you load the usb-storage driver).

I've installed F7 and F8 on any number of Athlons and Opterons with
minimal issues beyond the occasional "I can't find that storage...load
a driver" thingie.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -