F key mapping and added X session

I started F8 as regular user and login desktop, then I opened the terminal and su - root,  then started a new X session by issuing command : startx - - :1, new X session came active, then I press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back to the first X session opened by regular user who started the F8, no problem at all. But when I wanted to change back to the new added X session which opened by root, I could only use key combination Ctrl+Alt+F9; I found that X Window 0 is mapped to F7, X Window 1 is mapped to F9 and not F8 nor F10/F11/F12.  My question is when start adding a new X window session, should the relative F key mapping starts from F8? Or I missed something as I described on above?