RE: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > hmmmm ... i never tried that particular scenario, but i'm aware now
> > that the newer and better way to grab the native X display is to use
> > the vnc.so module.  having said that, i've been unable to
> get that to
> > work, despite a couple readable online pages.
> >
> > so, if anyone has an actual (heh heh) recipe for taking control of a
> > remote desktop using vnc.so, feel free to drop me a note --
> i'll test
> > it, then wiki it for others.
>
> I used it some versions back but I think the reason I quit
> was that it
> quit working at some point in the switch to Xorg.  The
> current version
> seems to be named libvnc.so but I'm not sure if it is fixed
> and I don't
> have anything later than FC6 to test.  It should just be a matter of
> adding the Load statement in your Xorg.conf and having a
> password file.
> This advice looks promising:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=162314
>
> --
I have vnc to control the native X display running on FC6, but
it kind of flakey and leaves artifacts on the screen.
I had to add the modules section to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file
as FC6 does not include it by default.  I derived the contents
by using the FC4 as a sample and then reading the /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and seeing what was being loaded before adding my own section.
I also added the line:

	Option	    "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"
in the Section "Screen"

The modules section I used was:

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "fbdevhw"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "freetype"
	Load  "type1"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "vnc"
EndSection

Some drivers seem to work better with VNC than others.  My
home FC6 machine is a bit skittish when driving it from work.
When helping one (non-techie) person I converted to FC from
windows, the screen goes to Hades in a Handbasket when driving
it remotely.

It would be nice if this worked.

Bob S,
Phoenix, AZ, USA