Re: Fedora 8 64-bit Athlon Install- Can't find CD/DVD Drives?

On Tue, 2008-01-22 at 07:55 -0500, Rick Bilonick wrote:
> If it's booting from the DVD to begin with, why is it now asking where
> the packages are?

A sort-of generic installation routine.  You can boot from something,
and install from another thing.  That might be a choice [1], it might be
a necessity.

1. e.g. You might boot the disc, as that's a simple way of starting an
install, but you might do the installation over a network, as it's a
faster method.

> I've tried all sorts of kernel parameters (ide=nodma, acpi=off, etc.

You'll need to say *precisely* what you've used, or you'll get told to
use the same things again.

> Must I replace the CD/DVD drive?

Don't know.  But you haven't said how it's connected.  USB/SCSI/IDE?
SCSI or IDE ought to be fairly simple, USB might be a problem.

The more specific hardware details you provide, the better will be the
answers people give you.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.