Re: GNOME Session crashes after less then 10 seconds

ghostdog wrote:
Hello alltogether,

i just upgraded my FC7 to F8 with yum. All works fine and looks
nice. after this, i removed using yum several new programs, which
i thought for my needless. this was majorly some multimedia
programs like bluetooth support or cd burning programs. i have
also disabled one or two services over the
administration->service tool. an after this, the problems begun.
after a restart, the login manager of gnome is displayed, but
every acount (root or normal user) will be notice a error message
like: Your session takes at least less than 10 second ... (it was
displayed in german) and a firefox without window title, a xterm
window (which doesnt work) and a square clock will be displayed.

the harddisk contains enought free space, and the Xorg.log or the
xsession-errors.log contains no addional informations.

have anybody a hint for me? Thanks a lot.

Take a look in /var/log/messages. It may have a clue.

I can not tell from your description if you are getting the Gnome desktop with these programs open, or if you are not getting a desktop or window manager at all, or just the programs specified running in the X server. It sounds like the later because you say you do not get a title window. That sounds like you are getting the fall back when it can the system can not find any windows managers.

You MAY be able to recover by running "yum groupinstall gnome" or something like that. But this is just a guess at this point, with the information you have given.

Mikkel