CD and DVD ISO images

The latest Fedora newsletter triggered this. Someone was asking about CD-sized ISO images.

For some time I've wondered whether it might be a Good Thing for distros to create a bunch of CD-sized ISO images, and then for the DVD-sized ISO image simply glue the lot into a single ISO image that boots the installer and installs as usual. I don't see much point to making different-sized install media that are so different.

Anaconda already has to logic to loop-mount ISO images, it just needs to be applied to the "CDROM" install path.

There would be space advantages to all who host the distro; they'd simply host the DVD images.

Users who want the CD images would download the DVD image, loop mount it on Linux or OS X (I think there's brand-X software for Windows too) and then extract the ISO images to burn or not.

I'm assuming nobody (Debian users excepted) downloads less than a full set of images.

Most, but not all, of my too-numerous computers have DVD drives, and right now I'm looking at installing something that I downloaded as a DVD image on a system that hasn't a DVD drive.

What do others think?

--

Cheers
John