Re: VMWare as a networking alternative

On Jan 20, 2008 10:01 PM, Robert L Cochran <cochranb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

vamythguy wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2008 9:43 PM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     vamythguy wrote:
>     > I actually wanted to go the other way and guest a windows install on a
>     > linux host but, somehow, use that windows guest to get me around linux
>     > wireless issues.
>
>     If I understand you correctly, you'd have to have linux *not* use the
>     wireless, and then provide that hardware as available to your VMWare
>     client in order for it to be able to use it.
>
>     Good luck.
>
>     --
>     Kevin J. Cummings
>     kjchome@xxxxxxx <mailto: kjchome@xxxxxxx>
>     cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
>     <mailto:cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx >
>     Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org
>     <http://counter.li.org/ >)
>
>     --
>

> I know, it's out there.  But linux support for wireless is sketchy, and
> I hate all the XP and especially) Vista overhead for a machine that
> mostly doesn't need it.

Virtualization is a really complex topic. I don't really "see" the
overhead you refer to, or the goal you have in mind. I'm a VMWare user.
My main purpose in using VMWare is to just get work done in the guest
OS'es I have, rather than focus on how they use or share system
resources. Since I'm new to VMware I just follow their published
guidelines. Thankfully, VMWare does a huge amount of your thinking for
you and tries to provide all the resources you might want. It provides a
great deal of networking support. There is very extensive published
documentation on VMWare, and the VMWare forums are extremely active.
Perhaps these resources can offer you more insight?

Bob

--

I suspected from the beginning that I was hunting a white whale.  I didn't really want to waste forum resources, but thought maybe someone had a quick answer.  I think I'll explore a more automated approach to natively supporting my wireless card, under sepaerate cover.  Thanks for your input.