Re: VMWare as a networking alternative

Ben Kevan wrote:
> On Sunday 20 January 2008 12:38:53 pm vamythguy wrote:
>> I want to switch my laptop over to linux, but still plan to run an XP
>> virtual host.  My laptop has a broadcom wireless card which seems to be
>> troublesome.  It seems that the reverse config (windows host, linux guest)
>> would allow the linux virtual to hit the net via nat through the windows
>> master.  Is the reverse possible, for the windows guest to provide net
>> services to the linux master?
>
> Try NAT networking. VMWare has a problem with the new kernels and wireless.

I can't (yet) speak for the latest kernels.  I have an XP VM running on
my FC6 laptop.  It can access the "net" pretty well, and active
connections can be made to come back to it via a current outgoing
connection, but I've had trouble accessing it directly except from the
hosting laptop on its VM wetwork, even though routing is supposedly set
up correctly (ip_forward and subnet routes) on the other networked
machines.  I'm not sure if the VMWare network is NATing on my laptop or not.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx