Re: TV out through VGA? ATI X1400 with fglrx driver

On 20/01/2008, Rick Bilonick <rab@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Composite resolution (using the RCA type connector) is VERY poor (and
> the color is not great), especially if the TV can display higher
> resolutions than just old analog (NTSC or PAL) TV.

Thank you, that is important to know.

> If you don't want to fiddle with xorg.conf, then you might want to try
> to find a device that will take SVGA etc. output and convert it directly
> into an HDTV format. I don't remember if I've ever seen such a device
> for sale although if I did, it was probably expensive.

I'd rather fiddle with xorg.conf as there is not much room left for a
large, bulky device.

> You might also want to check out the program "xrandr". Someone somewhere
> mentioned this - I was looking for a way to get the Dell Inspiron 2200's
> VGA output port to work under Fedora 8 with the new intel video driver
> (that appears to now be installed by default rather than the older i810
> or whatever). (Under Fedora 6 and the older driver, you would use a
> function key to enable the VGA output, e.g., to a projector for a
> presentation.) xrandr is EXTREMELY nifty and MIGHT make it easier to
> display the higher resolutions out through the VGA port. Using xrandr
> (via the command line), it was trivial to set up the laptop with another
> monitor or HDTV with VGA input port (which directly accepts up to an
> 800x600 progressive display). I get a dual screen without having to
> modify the xorg.conf file (well, it helps to tweak the xorg.conf file
> just slightly to get the best resolution). Before, to get dual screens
> you really had to know how to modify the xorg.conf file. Now, all you
> really need is xrandr (which I believe stands for X resize and rotate).

I'll look at xrandr. I might resubscribe to the xorg list to get my
xorg.conf file sorted out.

Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com