Re: File Transfer: Connect Fedora to Windows machine via ethernet without a router?

On 20/01/2008, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
> >> You can use a crossover cable to link the 2 machines.
> >> You could then either
> >> - statically fix the IP addressing on both boxes.
> >> - run a dhcp server on the linux box and tell the windows machine to
> >> pick up the information automatically (it may already be set up this way)
>
> If you have the avahi package installed, you should use the 'zeroconf'
> mechanism to fail to an ip address in the 169.x.x.x range that will work
> with anything else using the same scheme (like windows boxes).  but then
> you have to check the IP addresses or use something like samba that has
> its own name mapping scheme.

I don't understand completely, but I have enough keywords to start
googling. Thanks.

> >> (although my preferred system would be winscp/sshd...)
>
> I'll second that recomendation, although it needs DNS or you need to
> know the IP address.

Knowing the IP address is not a problem as I have access to both
machines, no? I could simply check with ipconfig on the Fedora box,
no?

> > Thanks, Stuart. I like the idea about a DHCP server on the Linux box
> > and ftp. Then _anything_ can connect to it.
>
> Be careful with running your own DHCP server... If you ever accidentally
> plug it into someone else's network, expect to be thrown out and asked
> never to come back.

I'm on the university network every day, so this is important to know. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.