Re: Samba Problems

On Jan 20, 2008 11:59 AM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 09:14 -0600, Chuck wrote:
> > Maybe I need some sleep or need to be hit in the head but the same
> > samba config I have used for years is not working on my freshly
> > installed FC 8 box. The same config was working yesterday when my
> > linux box was running RHEL 5.
> >
> > Simply here is my smb.conf:
> > [global]
> >
> >         workgroup = EXAMPLE.COM
> >         server string = billabong
> >         netbios name = BILLABONG
> >         interfaces = lo eth0 192.168.15.0/24
> >         hosts allow = 127. 192.168.15.
> >         log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
> >         max log size = 50
> >         security = user
> >         passdb backend = smbpaswd
> >         encrypt passwords = yes
> >         smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
> >         domain master = no
> >         domain logons = no
> >         local master = no
> >         os level = 33
> >         preferred master = no
> >         wins support = no
> >         wins proxy = no
> >         dns proxy = no
> >         load printers = no
> >         cups options = raw
> >
> > [homes]
> >         comment = Home Directories
> >         browseable = no
> >         writable = yes
> >         valid users = %S
> >
> > [root]
> >         comment = Billabong Root
> >         path = /
> >         public = no
> >         browseable = yes
> >         writable = yes
> >         printable = no
> >         valid users = root, someuser
> >         write list = root, someuser
> >         force user = root
> >         create mask = 0660
> >         directory mode = 0775
> >
> > When connecting from my desktop (running vista) I can see the root and
> > homes share, but when I try and drill down into one of the folders it
> > says network path not found. I have tried using various permutations
> > of tdbsam and smbpasswd, with encrypt passwords - no/yes to no avail.
> > Once again let me state that this desktop was accessing the same samba
> > config under RHEL 5 yesterday w/o problems.
> >
> > Samba log says:
> > [2008/01/20 08:59:22, 1] auth/auth_util.c:create_token_from_username(1104)
> >   lookup_name_smbconf for root failed
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas?
> ----
> are you running selinux?
>
> Craig

Nah not running se-linux but I found my problem. Somehow I got a
non-printable character in the smb.conf file on the line "force user =
root", so it wasnt really trying to force the root user but a non
existent user. (which is exactly what the damn log file was telling me
I just pulled my hair out before toggling non-printables on in my
editor and it was plain as day) I had copied my smb.conf to a vista pc
using cifs before reinstalling, then I cut and pasted it back, so it
got garbled somehow.

Thanks,
/cc