Re: more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Jan 9, 2008 2:54 AM, Alexander Apprich
<a.apprich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  yes, yes, it's really basic stuff but ...
I found this to be informative.

I've not used vnc for about 10 years, since Windows 95.

It works differently than I remember.  In the old days, when I would
use vnc, I would see the programs that were running on the other
system, and I'd take control of the keyboard and mouse of the other
system. It was handy for practical jokes where we would make people's
PCs do crazy stuff.

In this vnc on Fedora, I see a blank desktop, rather than a running
session on the other PC.

What's the story there?

Linux can run multiple sessions, so there are several ways to run the vnc service. One is to use vncserver to start separate long-running sessions that are not attached to the console. That is, you can connect, start some programs, disconnect, then reconnect later, perhaps from a different view and the programs will still be running. Another way is to set up xinetd to start new sessions for each connections which will be destroyed as you disconnect. Yet another is with an X module that allows you to connect to the console session, more or less like the windows version where that was the only available session.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx