Re: HELP: External 250G USB screwed with GParted

On Jan 19, 2008 9:56 AM, André Costa <blueser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi François,

2008/1/19 François Patte <francois.patte@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> André Costa a écrit :
> > Any
> > advice will be welcome.
> >

> Change the usb cable.
>
> I had a lot of error like this with a bad cable:
>
> device descriptor read/64, error -71

But, given that it was working with this same cable and it stopped
working in the middle of a GParted session, I'm not sure it will work
(it's the cable that came with the device), but... as I said, I gotta
try everything.

Right about now is when I put my gloves on...
How about taking the HDD out of the USB enclosure and attach it directly
to a machine via IDE cable? Then partition or you could try all sorts of troubleshooting.

This CD has several HDD tools.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

good luck.

> Don't know why you use gparted to format an external HD...

I didn't want to use GParted to format the drive, just to repartition
it (after all, this is GParted's purpose, isn't it?). I was going to
format the partitions (NTFS, HFS) on WinXP/OSX respectively.

Thks anyway for the suggestion, if nothing else works I will try
changing the cable. I still hope some other ideas will popup -- I
still can't see what I've done wrong that could have caused this,
there should be a way out.

Regards,

Andre