Re: F8 is a problem

On 19/01/2008, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 04:14 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On 19/01/2008, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >     Hi Jim, well I really have had nothing but trouble with F8.
> >
> > Doesn't surprise me. I also reinstalled F8 on Sun 09 Dec 2007, but
> > after more problems than losing only pulseaudio and related gstreamer
> > components. Too many untested or poorly tested updates are published
> > for F8. It is a moving target.
> ----
> is there something unstated here?
>
> do you lack enthusiasm for the switch over to pulse audio?

No, it's an interesting effort with good goals. Actually, I would
welcome any changes that would hide "ALSA", "OSS", and low-level audio
device names from the user of a modern Linux desktop.

I lack enthusiasm for a never-ending flood of updates that turned F8
into something that worked less good in comparison with its several
test releases. Even without using "root" to do any bad things to my
installation, more and more components malfunctioned. Some refused to
work and some became binary incompatible even requiring rebuilds and
further updates. Overall, I've had the feeling that all those software
version upgrades moved away the distribution too quickly from the
tested gold release of F8 and ought to have been tested longer and
painstakingly first. And that possibly it mattered much when exactly
to apply updates. For example, that skipping one package release
increased the chance of causing problems whereas applying every
package release would have worked (or vice versa). Without a doubt,
the updates for F8 that I installed up to Dec 9th broke my
installation in multiple ways. Up to a point where reinstalling became
the more convenient option than debugging XML files, IPC and component
installation and registration and spending additional time in a bug
tracking system that's slow like a snail and also user-unfriendly.