Re: I just wanted to burn a CD from a .iso

| From: Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx>

I appreciate your helpful reply (if not your tone).

| On 19/01/2008, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

| > I tried k3b, my normal tool.
|
| There are alternative graphical burning programs, e.g. brasero. Just
| in case you didn't know.

Thanks.  I don't mind cdrecord/wodim when it is wrapped in a script.
Apparently it was time to refresh my script.

| > Tools: Burn CD Image.  When I clicked
| > "Start", it hung, not even updating the window damage.
| >
| > Why?  ps shows that it was hung awaiting a process doing lsof on /dev/sr0.
| >
| > strace showed that the lsof was doing a stat on an NFS mount point.  I
| > have not idea why that would hang (but I could repeat it).  I have no
| > ideas why lsof cared about the mount point.  Two more mysteries.
|
| Well, k3b includes quite a complex filesystem browser, which does much
| more than just displaying your home directory. If mounted fs are
| inaccessible, that can cause problems then.

I was just burning from a .iso so it didn't need to browse.

What hung was lsof.  I'm guessing that it was just trying to see if
any other process was using the burner.  Furthermore, I'm guessing
that lsof was trying to see if the device was mounted and was thus
sniffing around all the mounts.

The real mystery is why NFS is causing these hangs.  I admit that the
server was rebooted while the client still had the mount (a day
before).  But NFS should handle that gracefully.  But I'm too lazy to
explore that right now.

| > So: let's load the debuginfo package.  Even though wodim's rpm is in
| > updates, the -debuginfo package is missing.  Another mystery.
|
| How did you try to install it?
| With "debuginfo-install"?

I didn't know (remember?) debuginfo-install.  That worked.  Thanks!

| > This seems to suggest that dev=2,0,0 should be correct, but we already
| > know it is not.  Another mystery.
| >
| > The cdrecord command worked when I used dev=/dev/scd0.
|
| That device naming changes is covered in the release notes, isn't it?

Clearly wodim didn't read the release notes :-)