Re: Having a hard time copying root filesystem to new drive...

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
11) edited /etc/fstab with new labels - different from original fstab

The boot file /boot/initrd* has the disk labels embedded in it. And if those labels are wrong, you get this message: Unable to access resume device (LABEL=SWAP-sda3) <- have to rebuild the initrd

My experience with LVM is that booting stops at that point when the labels are wrong. It appears that without LVM, it continues a bit longer, so I am not sure how critical it is in that case.

In my case (with LVM), I edited the file initrd by hand, according to the method mentioned here:
http://mhensler.de/swsusp/
And in particular, the part starting with the line "Fedora requires an initrd for booting..."

There is a utility "mkinitrd" which should create a new one, but I don't know how to use it.