Re: xen

Il Friday 18 January 2008 15:42:06 max bianco ha scritto:

> I have not used VMWare so I cannot comment on its  performance. I
> did a quick google search on VMWare  vs. Xen  and got a few hits
> but most look like opinion pieces.  I am just starting to use
> virtualization with Fedora and i installed the Xen kernel and
> wasn't to impressed with the performance of the virtual
> machine(winXP). At this point I am not sure why it was so sluggish.
> It could have been something I did or didn't do. I know there is a
> mailing list for fedora virtualization stuff (that's not the
> official name) but I haven't found the time to play with it much so
> please add a grain of salt to my pronouncements. In the coming
> weeks i will be getting into it alot more and will have more info.
> If we can keep the thread alive then I will report back here. What
> has your experience with VMWare been?
>
> -Max

I haven't played very much with any of them (a bit more with vmware
esx server) but performance-wise my experiences were much more
positive with qemu+kqemu than with xen (paravirtualized or not),
kvm and vmware.
I expected much better speed with a PV Solaris/Nevada under xen,
but the opposite was true :(

Even taking CPU load into account, at least in my tests, qemu+kqemu
was the best combination.

All guest OS were either XP or Solaris with 512 MB or 1 GB of ram,
out of a total of 2GB.

If someone can share a satisfying configuration for a PV Linux or
Solaris guest I'll be happy to test it.

	Nico