Re: That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Craig White wrote:

Thus I take issue with your contention, "there is no reason anyone
should have to do any of the things Karl has done" - there clearly is a
reason, and it has been known for many years now. The reason is that
there are repos that have packages which are incompatible with each
other.
And why does someone need to use more than one repo to install vlc? Or think they do?
----
to my knowledge, they don't.

That's my point - it shouldn't be difficult to know this. What if somebody built an operating system but no one knew where to get applications for it? And there could have been been a provision for namespaces in rpms and libraries so multiple versions of things could co-exist - but everyone wants to pretend that theirs is the only version that matters.

I have never installed vlc so I can't comment on it directly.

If you use a computer as a media player you should look at it. It is cross-platform, will play just about anything you throw at it, and it can act as a streaming server as well as a client. For example you can play a dvd on one machine with multicast streaming and watch it on different windows/mac/linux computers on the network at the same time.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx