Re: Installing from Fedora Live CD

David Timms wrote:

>>> The install icon installs F8 not the Live CD

> This might be clearer:
> - the live cd is essentially a size / functionality constrained Fedora
> install, that has been configured to be bootable and runable from CD {or
> so} size. It still has the rpm db and yum capabilities.
>
> - installing the live cd copies the filesystem of the installed live cd
> from the CD {dvd} to your hard disk. The result is a Fedora system that
> includes all the stuff that the live CD had, including rpm / yum.

In other words, it installs the Live CD, as I said.

> - on the hard disk {or usb etc} installed system you can use pirut or
> yum install/groupinstall to add other packages you are interested in.
> Pirut in the browse section is laid out according to comps.xml, that the
> dvd install iso uses for anaconda, in case you are familiar with that.

My question was: Is there a more direct way of doing this?
My recollection is that there was, on the Fedora-7 Live CD.
But I could be wrong.

> IMHO, there is no such thing as a Fedora standard install dvd

By the Fedora standard DVD I mean the ISO you can download
from Fedora sites, "Fedora-8-i386-DVD.iso".

> There isn't room on the live CD to also fit the stage2.img {anaconda gui
> installer}; you could use the rescue cd {100M} to do a text or gui mode
> network install, or even vmlinuz/initrd from the pxeboot folder
> {ftp,dvd} to start a network install.

I believe you still have to get stage2.img separately if you pxeboot
(from the images directory on the DVD ISO).

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366