Re: rdesktop woes

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: rdesktop woes
From: "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: For users of Fedora <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/15/2008 01:20 PM

Paul Lemmons wrote:

XP Home does not support rdesktop. You must be running XP Professional.

I think I need to get this statement clarified.  Windows Remote
Assistance works just fine to and from Windows XP Home.  Are you saying
that Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home use different versions
of the RDP?  And that rdesktop only supports the RDP version used by
Windows XP Pro?

Hmmm, if that's the case, then I had better change my plans to use my
local windows computers to help debug my Mom's computer.   sigh

"Remote Desktop" and "Remote Assistance" are completely different. XP Home supports "Remote Assistance" which is a different protocol and, to my knowledge, can not be accessed using rdesktop or even the Windows "Remote Desktop" client. It has it's own client.

For Remote Desktop access you need to run XP Professional.