Re: Updates SOLVED!

On Tuesday 15 January 2008 03:40, Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 00:04 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > On Monday 14 January 2008 19:50, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >
> > Putting Synaptic to one side, and after having done the apt-get update,
> > you can simply type.
> > apt-get install vlc
> >
> > To say the least, it will be interesting to see if apt-get has any
> > problems with the vlc package, especially as you've had problems
> > installing it with Yum.
>
> ----
> I really have to admire the ingenuity...telling someone that is stepping
> on their dick with cross repo contamination from yum to use apt-get.
>
> I'm going to monitor this thread for sure
>
> Craig

The only reason I suggested apt-get, is that he would be effectively starting
with a clean sheet. I gave him the URL for adding freshrpms
to /etc/apt/sources.list, so he then could do an apt-get update, which would
download the package lists for the first time with apt-get, for fedora
updates, everything, and "only" freshrpms. Livna not entering the equation.

Then an apt-get install vlc  may have printed out some usefull info.

If he does have some problem with Yum, trying with Apt, if Apt worked ok,
might confirm it.

He doesn't appear to have read what I said though, as now he's trying to get
apt-get to get vlc from Livna.

I'll post him back on list, and try and find out what he's done.

Nigel.