re: ipod

Are you running the command as Root?
No, I am not!!  So I ran the command again, this time as root.
Something has changed now. In the directory /media/IPOD/iPod_Control/Device there is a file called SysInfo, containing the 16-character FirewireGuid. There is also a file called SysInfoExtended.
When I start gtkpod I now see this warning message:
"Could not open "(null)" for reading extended info.
Extended info will not be used."

I feel I am getting closer. What does this message refer to? Is it the 16-character FirewireGuid, which start with a "0"?
Peter