Re: ipod

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:40:47 +0100
peter lesterhuis <peterlesterhuis@xxxxxxxxxx> took out a #2 pencil
and scribbled:

> Error initialising iPod: Couldn't find the iPod firewire ID
> Newly mounted iPod at '/media/IPOD' could not be loaded into
> gtkpod. The ipod is connected via usb, not firewire. Included
> with the ipod was only a cable with a usb-plug.
> How can I get gtkpod to work, using this connection?

In my case, I needed the newest (about a month and a half ago)
gtkpod and libgpod in order to get my ipod classic working. The
firewireID message you're getting can be resolved in the following
manner. ipod-read-sysinfo-extended did not work for me. I'm not
exactly sure why.

Plug in the nano.

sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial

You should see something such as the following:

 iSerial                 3 0000000000000000

The line of x's you see will be a unique 16 character identifier
for your nano.

echo FirewireGuid:
0x0000000000000000 > /media/SHARONAPPLE/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo
(mind the line breaks, this should be all on one line).There is a
space between FirewireGuid: and the 16 character identifier with 0x
prepended to the character identifier.

If you are wary of echoing anything into that file please feel free
to emacs it or gedit it and make sure you're not stepping on
anything. My SysInfo was empty, yours may not be.

See if that doesn't resolve your firewireID issue.

Ideally, there would be a more automatic way of handling it, but
I do not own a Nano, so I can't speak for its functionality.
Please note that path names will be different for you. These are
just examples.

There are many posts in Ubuntu forums and others concerning newer
ipodx devices. If you are able to make the leap from Ubuntu
pacakage/tarball installing to rpm based installing, you should not
have a problem. I created my own libgpod rpms for example.

HTH

Alex White

--
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx