Re: sudo doesn't work, I'm not in sudoers file, but I am.

Tim wrote:
On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 23:20 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
In fact, my password, while longer than most, is about half the length
of roots, which is so long its not usable with ssh or samba.  For that
reason, I wouldn't mind being forced to use roots password to sudo.

That's what "su" is for, surely?  "su" to become root, "sudo" to pretend
to be root.

su is the low-level 'switch user' command. If you aren't already root, you have to type the new user's password to continue. Sudo has a more complex scheme to configure operations that can be done as a different user without typing any password or by typing your own password. Some distributions do not have a usable password for root but permit certain users to do operations as root via sudo with their own passwords. On these, if you prefer to stay root instead of sudo'ing every command, you can simply 'sudo su -'.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx