Re: Google Earth

Claude Jones wrote:
On Sat January 12 2008, Karl Larsen wrote:
I would like to try the re-packaged rpm files from Fedora. How do
you start the update system so it works with every new kernel? I think
someone said you have to go to freshrpms wherever that is :-)

Karl: Go to freshrpms.net

A little way down is the instruction:
"The easiest way to install freshrpms.net packages is to click here from within firefox.........."

Click on the word 'here' and that will install the freshrpms repo
Keep in mind that some packages from freshrpms MAY clash with packages from the livna repository, if you also have that enabled. Tread carefully. Personally, I switched to freshrpms as my sole repo for most non-fedora packages. If you want to go with their nVidia package, you'll have to first uninstall the tarball you've installed from the nVidia site. I don't remember the instruction, but you should be able to find it. When you install the nVidia package from freshrpms, it will also pull the 'dkms' package, which stands for 'dynamic kernel module script' - each time you reboot your machine after that, that script will check your installed nVidia kernel-module against your running kernel and if it's not correct, it will automatically build a new kernel module for you before continuing the boot - when your machine comes up after a new kernel update, you will see this happen, and your machine will come up fully working with the nVidia driver. Note that there are some reports of some folks having problems with a package or two using the freshrpms package. I believe Gene H and Ric M have reported such issues in the past. I have been running the freshrpms nVidia drivers on multiple machines for a couple of years now without issues.
It sure seems if you want to do something good on Fedora you must go elsewhere to get the software. I use VLC because it lets you listen to anything and see anything. The Totem system is nice software but worthless because Fedora says you can't load the drivers needed to make Totem work. Catch 22 situation.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User