Re: can't go to single user mode

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 12:04 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > > ok, i'm confused ... wouldn't the only available runlevel options on
> > > the kernel line in /etc/grub.conf be precisely those for the "init"
> > > command, and the ones that you could add manually while at the grub
> > > menu early in the boot process?
> > >
> > > according to "man init", that would include "1", "s" or "S", but i
> > > don't see the word "single" anywhere there.  and i just tested that by
> > > duplicating the default stanza in grub.conf, renaming the title, and
> > > just adding "1" to the end of the kernel line.  selecting that option
> > > from the boot-time grub menu takes me to single-user mode, just as i
> > > expected.
> > >
> > > unless i'm misreading the actual problem here.
> > >
> > > rday
>
> Why again are you trying to put 1 or single into the grub.conf
> permenantly rather then doing this by editing the line when the grub
> menu comes up.

well, first, i thought that was what the OP was asking for.  also,
it's actually quicker to just arrow up or down to a single-user form
of the grub entry and hit ENTER, as compared to going into grub edit
mode and editing the kernel line.

but here's something i just noticed that strikes me as weird -- if you
have a grub password, you'll need to enter it to edit the boot line,
but you *don't* need it to simply make a non-default selection.  i
*think* i've just verified that, but if someone else wants to confirm
it, feel free.  that seems like a security hole.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Home page:                                         http://crashcourse.ca