Re: Wireless network problems - Dell Inspiron 1501

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:30:36 +0000
Timothy Murphy <gayleard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Do you have correct entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ?
> (Or whatever interface you are using in place of eth0.)
> Eg "ONBOOT=yes" and "ESSID=...".
>
> Also perhaps "alias eth0 <driver>" in /etc/modprobe.conf .
> Then try "service network restart" (as root).

Thank you for your reply.  I have indeed been down that road (several times)
and ultimately have concluded that the problem is that the wireless driver
doesn't appear to support WEP/WEP2 security, at least not the way that I have
it set up.  By setting the security to "disabled" on my router, I can make that
wireless card work.

Needless to say, I'm not really wild about that as a solution, so am still
searching for a better way to do things.

(It's not my laptop.  My intention is to set up this laptop and then set up a
wireless router for this client, then give him the whole shebang as a turnkey
setup that "just works".