Re: Appalling desktop performance in F8

Alastair Neil writes:

Has anyone else experienced terrible desktop performance with F8.  Under

Not really terrible, but the only one of my systems that couldn't boot the F8 anaconda installer without the "nohz=off" option is also the only one that's exhibiting sporadic hangs and freezes in Gnome. Basically, Gnome stops processing some mouse button and keyboard events for about .5 seconds, then resumes as if nothing has happened.

95% of the time when I log in, and get the fscking gnome-keyring password prompt, which I despise with passion, after I quickly type the password and hit enter, the window goes away but the background remains unpainted for about 3-5 seconds, before everything finishes coming up. Also, when gnome-terminal has the input focus, sometimes when I quickly move the pointer on top of some desktop icon and click it, Gnome does not highlight it, and clicking it has no effect. I have to wait about 1-2 seconds with the pointer remaining motionless, on top of the icon, before Gnome highlights it, then I can click it.

I'm fingering the tickless code as being the problem here. My other laptop, and none of my servers, show any of this.

The system itself is a P4 2.8 GHZ Dell optiplex 270 with 2 Gbytes of memory and an older nvidia card with two 19 inch monitors. I am using the xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-96xx drivers

Hmmm. My ailing laptop is also running xorg's nv driver, and it's the only one with an nvidia video card.