Re: Advanced learning of GNU/Linux advice

Stewart Williams wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for your thoughts/advice on advancing my GNU/Linux knowledge.
..
They all seem so interesting with all their different tools, and unique
ways of doing things; but is it too much to try and learn them all?

There was a time when Unix was unique in being a powerful system, yet with some study a person could "understand the whole thing" in a reasonable length of time.

That was true for Linux also--at one time--but no more. I doubt even that Linus would claim to understand the whole kernel, and that's only one part of the whole system.

At any rate, I think your first job is to focus on some aspect and learn that. Pick something you can use, or have an interest in, and go for it.

There is definitely little value is starting out with more than one distro. First learn a subject well on one distro, then you can compare with others if you like.

<Joe