Re: java again really

Karl Larsen wrote:

man alternatives

Do you think this manual page will help someone who doesn't have a jpackage-style installation or compat package? What is needed is for that to be included in the disto. Or at least full documentation on all of the symlinks needed to construct one by hand.

Amazing how I read man ln and understand how to make a sim link, and then enter the two locations backward. I think the only way to get it to work is provide the ln in detail so it can be copied over to a terminal and done.

I found it takes just a few minutes to get the sim links made but it took hours to find out where they should go between.

A good comparison would be putting a penny behind a broken fuse because you can't find the correct replacement. It works - and you've simplified things a bit. And in all the criticism you've received, you might note that no one has supplied a link to the part you should have used or the documentation you should have followed to get a valid java into F8. As far as I can tell such a thing doesn't officially exist, at least not in any of the normal places for fedoras newer than FC6.

'alternatives' is just a more complicated scheme of symlinks designed so multiple install packages that provide the same thing can be installed at the same time without overwriting each other and the choice of which to use as the default can be made by using the 'alternatives' program to connect the symlinks in your PATH to point to a hidden set that point to the hidden program of choice. For example you can install both sendmail and postfix and use this mechanism to determine which one is used. Personally I think it is a bad idea for several reasons. One is that it hides things that should be exposed and documented. The other is that, especially with java jvm's, if you have more than one installed it is very likely because you need them both and possibly both at the same time running different processes. This works fine if you supply the PATH/CLASSPATH, but now you (a) have no documentation for the correct locations, and (b) the location is distribution-specific so the documentation and startup settings have to be different for every platform. And, as you experienced, it makes it much harder to integrate things not anticipated by the distribution packagers.

It would be good if a good test existed for java performance. My experience was that the installed java 1.5 did not support installing jedit. In fact it didn't even install it complete. After getting java 1.6 working jedit installed right in much less time and appears to be working fine.

    Not a good test however :-)

A definitive java compatibility test does exist and is available from Sun. However, I believe that the terms of usage prevent publication of the results. Things that don't pass should simply not be called java, even in an invocation of the alternatives program.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx