Re: Custom F8 kernal and ath5k

David G. Mackay wrote:
On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 15:32 -0500, Greg Sieranski wrote:
Marcel Janssen wrote:
On Wednesday 02 January 2008, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
If madwifi isn't working then ath5k isn't going to work either.
madwifi supports more hardware than ath5k.
I've got a similar problem as the original post. I wonder how I make sure the madwifi driver is used instead of the ath5k driver.

If the madwifi driver supports more hardware wouldn't it make sense to not use the ath5k driver at all ?

regards,
Marcel

yea, i checked and currently ath5k does not support my card. Not really sure what to do at this point other than buy an Intel wireless card.

I have an AR5416 pcmcia card (D-Link DWA-652) that I'm running on a
laptop using F8.  I'm connecting to an old access point that only
understands WEP.  I can plug the card in, and it will come up reliably.

The behavior of NetworkManager regressed from F7 to F8, so I disabled
it:
chkconfig NetworkManager off

Secondly, the ath5k module was getting loaded, even with an "alias ath5k
off" in modprobe.conf, so I removed it from /lib/modules.  There's
probably a better way, but I was too lazy to look up the interaction
with pcmcia hotplug events.  Since you have a PCI card, it may not be a
problem with you.

Finally, I changed the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ath0 to:

DEVICE=ath0
MODE=Managed
WIRELESS=yes
RATE=Auto
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
HWADDR=00:01:02:03:04:05
ESSID=MYESSID
KEY=mywepkey

You'll need to change ONBOOT to yes, and supply your own values for
HWADDR, ESSID, and KEY.  If you're not using dhcp then change bootproto
to none.

Also, I had to build the madwifi drivers from an svn checkout to get
support for my chipset.

Good luck,
Dave

Thanks!!!! My wireless is now finally working :). Not to be a pain but at home I use WPA2 Personal as my encryption. Is there anyway to configure the wireless for wpa w/out using NetworkManager?

Thanks Again,

gs