Re: java again really

Knute Johnson wrote:
To install and run Sun Java on F8 look at the simplified instructions on this site;

http://rabbitbrush.frazmtn.com/sun-java-on-F8.html

You don't need to remove anything before installing Sun Java. JEdit should work with icedtea anyway.

Some of the things the page says are wrong. But it will be easy now with sim links to use the right java and jedit will work. By the way, I tried it with icedtea and it did not work at ALL!

What is wrong with the document?

Funny you should ask :-)

The document is good but it appears the two lib files are already on F8 and it leaves out the most important part. You need to use the new java when you call java from a terminal. I got done with the document but when I would type java -version I got the wimpy version Fedora sends.

So I looked at /usr/bin/java and it is linked to /etc/alternatives/java. So I mv java old.java. Then link to the new java with this:

[root@k5di bin]# ln -s  /usr/java/default/bin/java /etc/alternatives/java

The default/bin/java will be the latest one in the /usr/java/ directory.

With this addition my jedit was installed fast and it works right. I needs to be added to the document.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User