Re: Hard drive encryption question for dual-boot XP and Fedora

John Summerfield wrote:
Les Mikesell wrote:

Can't you just boot from a CD when you need to do network diagnostics? Knoppix has about everything you would be likely to need.

usually, but not always[1]. And sometimes one needs to save some data. And don't use optical rw media.

For most, all this is way more than's necessary. However, if your datacentre has armed-guard security at the door, then expect a higher level of care inside too.

I have a near new HP DC7700p SFF desktop. Designed for corporates. No optical drive or floppy or card reader, though all are options. A daughter works for a gov't department (not one that deals in money); USB drivers are forbidden. Another works for an insurance company; I've not asked, but I figure security would be pretty tight there.

Trust employees as much as you must, but no more.

In that sort of environment I'd expect someone to have dedicated sniffers and not rely on some free stuff on someone's laptop for network diagnostics, although wireshark is pretty good - but it runs on windows anyway.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx