Re: Hard drive encryption question for dual-boot XP and Fedora

Tim wrote:
On Fri, 2007-12-28 at 08:05 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
I would not defy The Boss, but if he agrees Linux is good for its diagnostic tools, then the question becomes "How do we do this?" and a USB disk that's encrypted and doesn't carry sensitive data, or even a CD/DVD might be part of the answer.

Surely you'd only need to encrypt that which needs protecting.  Network
diagnosis tools don't sound like something that needs it.  And if you're
sensible enough to use different passwords, then someone finding out
your logon credentials from an unprotected diagnosis partition can't use
them to logon to the other protected one.

I would not be surprised if the corporate policy is to encrypt everything. That way, there can be no nasty surprises if, accidentally or by carelessness, sensitive data gets stored on the "network diagnostics toolset."

For example, the results of running tcpdump or wireshark. Simply erasing the files isn't enough, the space they occupied needs to be overwritten too.

A likely sanction for defying such a policy is an invitation to seek employment elsewhere.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait