Re: DHCP even when I set static addresses

On Dec 20, 2007 5:34 PM, Christopher K. Johnson <ckjohnson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter Lauri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use FC8 on my T61. I set static addresses for everything, but still
> dhcp tries to figure out the IP. And it ends up that the IP has
> something like 169.X.X.X
>
> Initially when I do ifup eth0 it works fine, and I can use internet,
> but after a minute (the indicator tells that "aquiring network
> address") it goes from 85.X.X.X (that is the correct one) to 169.X.X.X
> that is some internal address I think.
>
> Any hints? How can i turn off the dhcp stuff?
>
> /Peter
Hard to say without more information.  But it may be NetworkManager
doing that.
Try this as root:
service NetworkManager stop
service NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
ifdown eth0
ifup eth0

If that works correctly and stays statically configured then make
disabling of NetworkManager permanent:

chkconfig NetworkManager off
chkconfig NetworkManagerDispatcher off

If that does not do it, please send the contents of your

Chris

Isn't NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher stopped by default?
And Network is "on" in a tipical FC8 networked box setup?
I'd check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and make sure you have the line:
    BOOTPROTO=static
Then turn off dhcpd:
    chkconfig dhcpd --level 35 off
 let's don't forget /etc/hosts.