Fedora on an ASUS G23-B2

The ASUS G2S-B2 is marketed as a gaming laptop, but is also used
extensively by video integrators in the U.S. to build mobile
video editing workstations. So, that's what I bought recently
after looking at the reviews and prices.

I had one unpleasant surprise when I found it wouldn't run XP, or
at least, that ASUS makes no XP drivers for it. I may yet try to
revert to XP but that's another story for another list.

I did image the drive as soon as the machine arrived, then
removed all partitions and reformatted it, creating two
partitions, one for Windows and one for Linux. (With the image,
I can always restore to exactly how it arrived from the factory)

So far, no distro has satisfactorily loaded on this machine.
Fedora went on, but failed to figure out a driver for the video
card and came up in text mode. MEPIS went on, but, each time I
tried to upgrade from the VESA driver (the only one that would
boot up from the LiveCD, it lost the ability to startx -- I
tried the nv driver, and two different nVidia drivers. MEPIS
also failed to identify the NIC and load a driver for it, so
that was a dead in the water proposition. PCLinuxOS came up in
LiveCD mode, but, lost video when I installed it. KUBUNTU failed
to find a video driver in LiveCD mode.

So, before I start getting specific, and yes, I am googling for
success stories, is anyone on the list successfully running
Fedora or any flavor of Linux on this machine?

No lectures about researching before buying, either, please. I
bought this for my Video Editing needs - Linux on this machine
is strictly for my personal edification, and Linux compatibility
would not have been the deciding factor in this particular
purchase. But, that said, I would still like to get it to
work -- so, any success stories with this particular model?
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA