Re: Sendmail takes ages to start at bootup

Simon Slater wrote:
On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 15:08 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
? What is "this?"
59.101.171.96
from /var/log/messages.
If you're starting up sendmail on your laptop (or any other computer
on your LAN), those name servers aren't going to help your sendmail match up IP addresses it can see on your computer and their host names. That has to be organised on your own LAN; I generally set up bind as that scales well and I can add more computers, temporarily or permanently without any fuss such as fiddling with hosts files.

Thanks John,

	With the few computers I look after (and my place on the learning
curve), I thought keeping it simple and just using entries in /etc/hosts
for each was the way to start.  So sendmail needs more , than that?
When all is set up as needed for family and business then bind would be
needed (along with LDAP, IMAP and web servers) but I have not started

Please, don't use Fedora for those. Look how many problems people are having that are not self-inflicted. A cheap RHEL clone is a good low-cost choice if you can do the administration yourself, and CentOS is the best of the clones for most people.

If you _need_ the _latest_ software, and can do the administration yourself, and can tolerate the occasional problem when something's broken, then Fedora is a good choice.

If you want low-cost, better reliability and a long service life, the CentOS. AFAIK CentOS 2.1 lives on, and that predates FC1.

reading on any of them yet.  This is why I like this list, a good
cross-section of Fedora implementations and platforms, with users
ranging fom novice (me) to well seasoned and experienced.

I wanted to know how to set up a DNS, so I installed BIND (on OS/2, it was _that_ long ago). So that's what I do.

What sendmail needs is speedy answers to all its questions, and since I can configure BIND fairly easily, that's what I do.

It's probably not the only way (and it surely isn't the only DNS server), but it works.

If you plan on doing it anyway, now's probably the time.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait