Re: arp who-has? tell?

ron wrote:
Jacques B. said:

I can see the 98.203.0.1 entries being potentially normal.  Depending
how they set things up, you could have an entire street or
neighbourhood on a subnet.  ARP requests are broadcast ARPs which
would be seen by all hosts on the subnet, so normal traffic.  I am at
a lost for explaining the ARP requests coming from other ranges of IPs
that are no doubt not in your subnet.  What is your subnet mask?  That
would help determine what broadcast traffic you should see.

Jacques B.

-----Snip-----
Finally, all interfaces will generate ARP requests because when you try to make a connection to an IP address on the same
subnet you don't know what its physical address is so your computer issues an ARP request of the form "who has
nn.nn.nn.nn". Whoever has that address responds with its physical address and then you can make your connection. All
ethernet communications is ultimately done between physical addresses which may explain why we go to all of this trouble.

--jc

Some info:

$ sudo /sbin/ifconfig

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:11:D8:CF:C4:8C
          inet addr:98.203.6.135  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.255.248.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:368010009 (350.9 MiB)  TX bytes:17358499 (16.5 MiB)
          Interrupt:17 Base address:0x2000

Okay, your ISP provides you with a subnet containing 8 Class C networks (2048 possible addresses) so the DHCP server has a lot of house keeping to do.
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:2490948 (2.3 MiB)  TX bytes:2490948 (2.3 MiB)

--

As far as my default gateway I'm guessing 93.203.0.1

No need to guess, try netstat -r to get a list of routes including the default route. Not that it matters.
$ cat etc hosts:

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost	f8
::1	localhost.localdomain	localhost	f8

If you want to ignore all of those ARP packets run tcpdump as tcpdump not arp and you'll see all of the actual Internet traffic to and from your neighbors' homes.
--

Sorry I'm new at this.

Aren't we all?
Thanks for the reply. I figured it somehow is programmed into the
cable modem and is somehow initiated by Comcast. I initially ignored
it, but as a start in my learning about routers and networking I
started here.  I basically see how it works now. My next project is to
get a static ip address from DynDNS www.dyndns.com/ and then study up
on routers. Any sugestions on hardware and software would be
appreciated. I'd like to eventually experiment with a wireless sff
motherboard diy router project.

Thanks again.

-macroron-

--jc