Re: F8 install failure again & again

* Felix Miata (mrmazda@xxxxxx) wrote:
> On 2007/12/18 18:27 (GMT-0800) Tod Merley apparently typed:
>
> > On Dec 18, 2007 12:53 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> On 2007/12/18 01:55 (GMT-0500) Felix Miata apparently typed:

> >> I came up with more ideas.
>
> >> 1-I removed the cable from the primary IDE port on the motherboard, leaving
> >> the target disk as the only disk in the system, then installed. Same failure.
>
> >> 2-I tried moving the cable from the secondary IDE port to the primary IDE
> >> port. Same failure.
>
> >> 3-I tried moving the disk to a different system, i845G instead of i815. Same
> >> failure.
>
> >> 4-I tried installing again on the same disk and i845G. Same failure!!! O_O
>
> > Really, I started to monitor this thread to learn about
> > troubleshooting an install.  I have learned much.  You have obviously
> > been around this for a long time.
>
> > Probably you have checked all the things I have mentioned or will
> > mention.  Still, it is easy to get distracted when things do not work
> > so - a couple of things:
>
> > 1. From what you wrote you get the same results using the same disk on
> > several systems.    Most of the warnings in the log concern things not
> > found and then trouble mounting the disks, partitions, etc.. Time to
> > confirm the CD or DVD you are using (md5sum or whatever).  You might
> > also try some different brand CDs or different writers and/or readers.
>
> I rarely install from a CD or DVD. I download the installation kernel and
> initrd and start the HTTP install with Grub. I trust the installation program
> to figure out if the downloads are good, and the kernel and initrd to fail
> early on if they download bad.
>
> > 2. By all means google the disk brand / model with Linux and or Fedora 8.
>
> When you've used multiple disks and systems to get the same errors, brand and
> model tend to be unlikely candidates as problem sources. On this particular
> problem, Google searching has brought this thread up as the first hit more
> than once for me. :-p
>
> In this case, it could be Intel is relevant, as all three systems this has
> happened to me with are older Intel chipset boards, i810E, i815, i845G, all
> of which use ata_piix in recent 2.6 kernels.
>
> > 3. In your CMOS utility look for parameters which relate to how the
> > disk is "talked" to.  Change it from what is probably "auto" to your
> > best guess made by reading your disk service manual.  If there are
> > delay parameters which appear to relate to disk communication you
> > might consider changing them as well.
>
> I learned long ago that setting the BIOS to use anything other than AUTO was
> more likely to do more harm than good, so I NEVER do it any more.
> http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/partitioningindex.html#BIOSHDREC
>
> I've tried more things. I burned the live KDE CD, and the 815 boots from it.
> However, I'm not really sure how it can help. I tried chroot to the installed
> partition with it, and tried to install MC, but rpm gave errors about corrupt
> [...]

I'll chime in.  Maybe these have already been suggested, but...

- Try booting off a CD distro (Fedora Live, FeatherLinux, PuppyLinux,
etc.) or a floppy distro (tomsrtbt).  Make sure that the boot partition
is toggled as "bootable" (I use the linux fdisk, with the "a" option").

I've run into issues with more than one drive installed, where each
drive had the first partition marked as bootable ("*"). F8 seemed to do
this on every drive it setup. I usually only have one drive set as
bootable; after install, F8 had all three of my drives set as bootable.
More on this in a sec...

- Under the BIOS, the first submenu usually has basic device/drive info
(where you set the AUTO option, time, etc.).  The second submenu,
Advanced Options(?), has "First Boot Device", "Second Boot Device",
"Third Boot Device", or something similar.  Make sure those are looking
at the right thing.

I think this is where that "bootable" thing falls into play.  I install
off a spare CDROM for initial boot, and have the DVD iso on the HD.  I
set the BIOS to boot, in order, CD, Fujitsu HD, Fujitsu HD (Same HD, and
my BIOS lists the drives by manufacturer). After install, when I
disconnect the CDROM, I get a boot failure.  I have to go into the BIOS,
where it displays "network" where "CDROM" used to be.  I change that to
"Fujitsu" and things work fine after that.

My BIOS seems to guess at anything it thinks is bootable. It also
changes things on its own if I mod my system.  Perhaps this could be
happening to you?

- You MAY need to change your drive settings under the BIOS from AUTO to
LARGE.  I spent 3 days smacking my head against a wall on this issue;
changing things to LARGE allowed smooth sailing. Socket A motherboard,
certainly not new, but I've had older K6 and PIII motherboards that were
more forgiving.

- Have you tried a different IDE cable?

Good luck

Jeff Krebs