Re: How to mount an LVM?

Fred Metcalf wrote:
: I'm having to shift to a new laptop and have removed the drive from
: the old laptop.  In trying to mount the root "partition" I've run into
: an area of ignorance - how to mount a logical volume so I can extract
: the data.
:
: Anyone have any quick pointers?

I take it that you have installed the drive in a working
system?  If so, become the superuser.

The output of `vgdisplay -v' should show you all the
volume groups (VG) on your system, the physical volumes
(PV) to which each group is associated, and the logical
volumes (LV) that each VG contains.

>From this you can tell what VG are on the laptop disk,
assuming you know what it's PV name is---typically its
the device name.

The LV within the volume group must be "active" in order
to mount them.  Look at the output of `ls -l /dev/mapper'
to see if the LV for your laptop VG appear.  /dev/mapper
contains names of the form

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 253, 2 2007-12-15 11:05 vg02-lv00

where "vg02" is the VG name and lv00 is the LV name.
Your names will probably be more descriptive than mine.

If your laptop VG-LV appear, then you should be able to
just mount each with a command like

# mount /dev/mapper/vg02-lv00 /mount_point

where /mount_point is the path to an empty directory.

One of the LV (I suppose) contains your laptop root.

In case the LV don't appear in /dev/mappper, then you can
active them with

# vgchange -a y /dev/vg02

Now, if all is well, the LV for vg02 should appear in
/dev/mapper and you can mount them.

Dean