Re: It Works fine... System lockups with F8 and Firefox

Interesting things (to me). Tim said to look at IT and I have been doing so. Here is what /etc/X11/xorg.conf has to say about my mouse:

   # generated from default
   Identifier     "Mouse0"
   Driver         "mouse"
   Option         "Protocol" "auto"
   Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
   Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
   Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

   I decided to look at /dev/input/mice and it has:

[karl@k5di ~]$ ls -al /dev/input/mice
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 63 2007-12-13 05:26 /dev/input/mice
[karl@k5di ~]$ cd /dev
[karl@k5di dev]$ cd input
[karl@k5di input]$ ls
by-path  event1  event3  event5  mice    mouse1
event0   event2  event4  event6  mouse0
[karl@k5di input]$ ls -al mice
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 63 2007-12-13 05:26 mice
[karl@k5di input]$ ls -al mouse0
crw-r----- 1 root root 13, 32 2007-12-13 05:26 mouse0

This appears to be something special. I have no idea what it does to work but it is different from other /dev/xxx.

I think the way this works is the reason for my sudden failures of both F7 and F8. I was plugging my mouse into a USB port. It works fine but I think there is a problem. Looking back the sudden failures may have begun when I put the mouse into the USB port. I now have the mouse plugged into a PS2 port and no sudden failures in 3 days.

After a week without problems I will again plug the mouse into a USB port and see if the sudden failure returns.

Karl