Re: Problem with random disks mount sequence

Lamar Owen wrote:

I'm starting to build a box that will have an assortment of scsi and
sata disks, most, but not all paired in md raid1 devices and expect to
have a few hotplug sata and external USB and firewire drives that will
be connected periodically.  Do you have any hints on how to write a
script that will copy things to the recently-mounted drive(s) and how to
avoid boot problems if any of them happen to be connected during a
reboot?  Will the md devices always find/pair themselves regardless of
the underlying partition device names?

MD devices will find their mates by UUID.  Drive order matters not to MD.

Hmmm, maybe I'll create even the non-mirrored partitions as raid1 with a 'missing' partition to keep things consistent then. That also has the advantage of permitting easy conversion to mirrored or syncing with a swappable device that can be removed as a backup.

The only place where drive order matters is where /boot lives, and that's set, for PC hardware, in the GRUB configuration.

That will be on SCSI, and I think the system bios settings will take care of that part.

Oh, in case your wondering what sort of hardware this is, here's the contents of /proc/scsi/scsi: the clues you need to find out what kind of system this is are in there. :-)
[root@spacely ~]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST39103LCSUN9.0G Rev: 034A
                                     ^^^
[root@spacely ~]# I have had more problems with drive order on PC hardware than I have had on spacely.

But wouldn't you rather be running zfs on that?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx