Re: Is ECC memory any use?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I'm getting memory for a very old (P2B-LS) Asus motherboard,
and I see I can get ECC memory for some 20% more.

Is there any point in getting this?
I see there is quite a lot of work
in getting ECC testing incorporated into the Linux kernel.
But even if it were there, would it be very valuable?

Whether to use ECC ram depends on the mobo; some support it, some don't.

I suspect that mobo supports 384 Mbytes of SDRAM, probably no faster than PC-100 (but PC-133 works fine); it might not even require it that fast.

I've just been to a computer auction; I suspect that wouldn't even attract a bid. I'm not sure that there was anything less than a 1.7 Ghz PIV.
<checks>
There were two COMPAQ DESKPRO Pentium IIIs, they went for $AU60+10% buyers' premium +10% GST.

It would make a fine firewall (and until recently I was using a Pentium II for just that), but _I_ wouldn't be spending money on it.

The question isn't so much whether it can do a useful job, as for how long it will do so.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait