Re: Users and Groups

* Robert P. J. Day (rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:
> >    Why are You RDay such an asshole? Is it your Canadian upbringing?
> >
> > Karl
>
>   because, karl, it is simply breathtaking how, after months on this
> forum, you appear to have learned absolutely *nothing* in the way of
> the proper care and feeding of either your operating system or this
> mailing list and how to use it.
>
>   by way of analogy, i've owned a number of cats over the years, and
> it's surprising how, even if they're only a few months old, they can,
> literally within *hours*, figure out where the food bowls are, where
> the litter box is, where the cat door is, and where the warmest places
> are to curl up for a nap.  and *they're* what you might call lower
> forms of life, if you know what i mean.
>
>   *you*, on the other hand, simply have not evolved in any way.  even
> after months of people patiently (and sometimes impatiently) giving
> you advice, your typical behaviour hasn't altered -- karl does
> something with his OS, karl is surprised by its behaviour, karl
> immediately concludes that it is a "bug" that somebody should fix.
> is that it, karl?  do i have that about right?
>
>   and when you *do* decide -- against all the better advice given here
> -- to file something in bugzilla, you pick a *random* category to file
> it under, of all things.  and expect everyone else to be incredibly
> accommodating and try to parse what in god's name you're talking
> about.
>
>   what's most hysterical, though, karl, is the sheer amount of
> misinformation you've dumped on this list.  it's almost like we need a
> full-time group to run around after you, correcting your postings in
> case anyone decides to take them seriously.
>
>   seriously, karl, you used to be at least moderately amusing.  but
> it's not really all that funny anymore, given the fact that you're
> clearly untrainable.  think of my cats, karl.  even *they* can figure
> out a pattern, given enough time.  but you?  "users and groups"
> doesn't work the way you expect, therefore, there's a "bug" somewhere.
>
>   so file it in bugzilla, karl.  if you seriously think all these
> curiosities and oddities you run across are genuine bugs, then treat
> them that way and enter them into bugzilla, and be done with it.  and
> when the bugzilla folks start to lose patience with you, well, you can
> certainly give *them* a piece of your mind.
>
>   you are simply not teachable, karl.  people have tried, and people
> have failed.  all we can hope for, at this point, is that we can try
> to keep you from inflicting damage on others on this list when they
> decide to take you seriously.
>
> rday

Does this really need to be on this list?

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#head-d2b45e2e5ffe035c8d5b5ef175f634836eafefca

directs folks here, and as a new or even moderately experienced
users should expect to be treated with respect and dignity.

Open attacks, profanity, and belittlement are uncalled for in any
situation on this list.  It's wrong and it's unfair.

You have the option to ignore, or better yet, use procmail and the
"From:" header to directly divert "problem" emails to /dev/null.

I'm not sure what's worse... emails from people not understanding things
well, or the 6 responses (including my reply) to the original post.
Replys should be short and constructive; anything else wastes room in
the users' Inbox.

Jeff Krebs